Gainesville Brain Bee – November 4, 2017
The Gainesville Brain Bee will be held on November 4, 2017 in the DeWeese Auditorium of the McKnight Brain Institute at the University of Florida (1149 Newell Drive, Gainesville, Florida 32610). Doors open at 9:00AM and the competition will begin at 9:30AM.
Brain Bee participants will compete in a format similar to a spelling bee, however, these questions will be neuroscience based. If a student provides two wrong answers, they will be excluded from further rounds. The winner of the Gainesville Brain Bee competition will receive $1,500 to go to the Brain Bee National Championships.
After the question and answer competition, there will be a panel discussion entitled “How to Excel in the Scientific Field Starting as an Undergrad.” The award ceremony will follow the panel discussion and light refreshments will be provided.
How to Prepare – Study Materials
- A student will have 30 seconds to answer the question.
- The moderator can repeat the question once.
- If there are multiple correct answers to the question, the answer can be overruled by the panel of judges.
- A student will be eliminated from further rounds if two incorrect answers are given.
- Recording devices are not allowed during the question and answer period.
- You can only compete in one local Brain Bee per year.
- A student can only compete in the national Brain Bee competition once.
The first place winner will receive $1,500 to go to the Brain Bee National Championships.
How to Register
Frequently Asked Questions
- When does registration open?
- Registration is currently open and will close October 20, 2017.
- Who is eligible to participate?
- High school students, ages 14-18.
- Is there a cost to register?
- No! This Brain Bee is funded by the McKnight Brain Institute at the University of Florida.
- Will there be review sessions?
- We are planning on hosting a review session on October 22. An email will be sent out to all registrants two weeks before the review session detailing when and where.
- Have any other questions?
- Contact us at email@example.com